Migration from PRCS to Bazaar?

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Jan 23 23:13:16 GMT 2008

Timo Kankare wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have some old PRCS[1] repositories and I want convert those
> repositories to Bazaar. Has anybody done such conversion before? Are
> there any tools for that?  If not, can you give some advice how to do
> such operation?
>
> I can read from PRCS branch and version information, checkin dates and
> comments, merges, file renames and moves, and so on, but how to record
> all that information in bzr when commiting version?
>
> Timo
>
> [1] http://prcs.sourceforge.net/

If prcs is just using rcs files behind the scenes, it is actually really
easy to convert to a CVS repository. And then you can just use regular
"cvsps-import" or tailor, or other tools.

If prcs layers more information on top that you want to maintain, then
we can look at how we want to do it. Tailor was written to support lots
of front/back ends. So it should be easier to add support, but the final
conversion isn't usually as good.

Maybe you could give a bit more detail about PRCS?