Newbie to this kind of thing - some basic help please

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 06:43:39 GMT 2008

Hi, I sent this to feedback at launchpad but have had no response. I just joined
this list to see what I can learn here. So here it is again. (with a few
edits.)

 I hope this is not a FAQ, I have been reading the various docs.

First off, I am totally new to versioning systems. I have another project on
LP called 'fontypython' but it has never been used. I thought I'd get to know
things and I have a tutorial/overview of pyCairo that I am using as a test
case. It's not actually code, but an SVG file with related images.

Second, I chose a Creative Commons Att NC licence (custom option) which caused
a message to the effect that I would be 'contacted'. I hope I did not choose
a bad licence! Anyway, that might be why things are not working.

Third, I am sure I have the wrong conception of what LP is an offers - I hope
the answers put me right :)

I created a project called "cairoglyphics". I followed the steps to make
a .bzr directory and all that. I ended-up using push to send a bunch of files
to the LP hosting. All seems fine.

I now want to provide a tarball of the 'final' product (what you term
releasing a project, I think) and I used bzr export to make one. I then did
another push (not knowing any alternatives) and I think it's all on your
server.

(I actually made one branch, then deleted it and made another.)

If a user were to visit:
https://launchpad.net/cairoglyphics
and click on 'Code' (because there is no obvious "Click here to download X"
option) then they get to:
https://code.launchpad.net/cairoglyphics/
which shows a page that has no code, no links, nada.

If they had clicked 'trunk' on the home page, they'd get to:
https://launchpad.net/cairoglyphics/trunk
which is also pretty much blank. And why joe-user would click 'trunk' is like
asking an elephant why they'd click 'fingers.'

But, if I go to the URL:
https://code.launchpad.net/~donn-ingle/+junk/cairoglyphics
then I see this:
~donn-ingle/+junk/cairoglyphics
Download URL: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~donn-ingle/+junk/cairoglyphics
Example:        bzr branch
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~donn-ingle/+junk/cairoglyphics
Upload URL:
bzr+ssh://<name>@bazaar.launchpad.net/~donn-ingle/+junk/cairoglyphics
Example:        bzr push
bzr+ssh://donn-ingle@bazaar.launchpad.net/~donn-ingle/+junk/cairoglyphics

I must assume this is not for end-users at all. Heck, I don't savvy it. I
copy/pasted (!) the top link (the download) one and it gest me to a blank
page that says:
Not Found
The requested URL /00/00/21/be was not found on this server.

So, I am very confused -- I am sure this is all quite sensible but from my pov
right now it's opaque.

How do I provide a link for users to get the tarball of the pycairo tutorial?

Thanks for reading all of this.
Help! :)

\d

Fonty Python and other dev news at: