Installing bzr on CentOS5

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Sun Jan 20 23:44:37 GMT 2008

On 19/01/2008, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I saw your blog entry comparing the top three DVCS's on the bazaar
> mailing list.  I just wanted to mention that testing out bzr-1.0 on
> CentOS5 should be easy if you use the EPEL repository.
>
> EPEL (Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux)[1]_ is a repository created
> by the Fedora Project that has packages that are in Fedora but not in
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux and derivative distributions (CentOS,
> Scientific Linux, etc).  I'm maintaining bzr, bzrtools, and bzr-gtk in
> that repository so that it is easy for people to install this revision
> control system on CentOS5 and RHEL5.
>
> Enabling EPEL and then installing on CentOS5 should be as easy as:
>    su -c 'rpm -Uvh
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-2.noarch.rpm'
>
>    su -c 'yum -y install bzr bzrtools bzr-gtk olive'

Toshio,

Thanks for maintaining these packages.  Could you please put something
about this on http://bazaar-vcs.org/Download , or maybe link to a new
wiki page.

> I haven't decided yet whether I'll be updating the EPEL packages to
> later versions of bzr or sticking with the 1.0 series.  I need to
> discuss what to expect 1.1, 1.2, etc to bring.

I expect we will stay in the 1.x series for some time and keep making
approximately monthly releases with both bug fixes and
feature/performance enhancements.  We'll maintain api and format
compatibility, and treat regressions as bugs.  In general we'll only
make x.y.1 releases when there's a severe bug or regression.  So given
the general goodness of 1.0, I think it's unlikely we will do a 1.0.1.
  Hope that helps.

--
Martin