[MERGE] 3-number dotted revnos

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Tue Jan 15 07:49:07 GMT 2008

Eric Siegerman wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> [ Newish bzr user here, delurking now that I have something to
>   say :-)  I don't know enough Python (yet) to write code, but
>   documentation's another story; and in fact, while reading the
>   User Guide, I've been doing a bit of copy editing (merge
>   requests to come in a while).  So now's as good a time as any
>   to jump in. ]

Cool.

> On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 17:24 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> I also included a bit of user guide documentaition, but I
>> didn't know where to "include" it.
>
> How about in "Getting Started", between "Entering Commands" and
> "Getting Help"?

I've just finished reviewing this patch and I agree that's the best
place. The new section should be called "Understanding revision numbers".

> At first I thought "Core Concepts" would be a good place, either
> edited into "Revisions" or as a subsection under it.  But that's
> too much of a forward reference -- the description of dotted
> revnos makes little sense until you understand branches, and
> those haven't been introduced yet.

Agreed. Within core concepts, the text under "Revisions" should only
have a forward cross reference to the new section, just as it does to
the appendix now.

Ian C.