bzr-svn problem: Permission denied: ".": PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/dept/ gt/trunk'

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Jan 9 16:14:55 GMT 2008

Hi Brian,

Am Dienstag, den 08.01.2008, 16:43 -0600 schrieb Brian de Alwis:
> Hi everybody.  I'm a new bzr user trying to use bzr-svn to interact
> with a project maintained on a Subversion repository.   I'm
> encountering a problem where bzr-svn is trying to access the
> repository using a different URL than that used by Subversion, and
> failing.  The project is hosted at https://papyrus.usask.ca/svn/dept/
> gt/  (user: anonymous, no password).  I'm using bzr-svn 0.4.5 using
> bzr 1.0 on MacOSX 10.5.1 (installed from pkgsrc, and using Python 2.4).
>
> Trying to do a branch of the project using bzr-svn fails:
>
> > $ bzr branch svn+https://anonymous@papyrus.usask.ca/svn/dept/gt/trunk
> > bzr: ERROR: Permission denied: ".": PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/
> > dept/gt/trunk'
>
> But I *have* been able to branch from other Subversion-based
> projects.  So there's something peculiar about this setup, but I
> haven't been able to figure out (i) what the problem is, and (ii) how
> to fix or work around it.  (And I have tried the development branch of
> bzr-svn to no avail.)
>
> The ~/.bzr.log, with -Dtransport, shows:
>

> > bzr arguments: [u'-Dtransport', u'branch', u'svn+https://anonymous@papyrus.usask.ca
> > /svn/dept/gt/trunk/']
> > looking for plugins in /Users/bsd/.bazaar/plugins
> > looking for plugins in /usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/
> > plugins
> > Plugin name __init__ already loaded
> > Plugin name __init__ already loaded
> > encoding stdout as sys.stdout encoding 'UTF-8'
> > opening SVN RA connection to 'https://anonymous@papyrus.usask.ca/svn/dept/gt/trunk'
> > svn get-repos-root
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/commands.py",
> > line 802, in run_bzr_catch_errors
> >    return run_bzr(argv)
> >  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/commands.py",
> > line 758, in run_bzr
> >    ret = run(*run_argv)
> >  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/commands.py",
> > line 492, in run_argv_aliases
> >    return self.run(**all_cmd_args)
> >  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/builtins.py",
> > line 877, in run
> >    br_from = Branch.open(from_location)
> >  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/branch.py", line
> > 128, in open
> >    possible_transports=possible_transports)
> >  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/bzrdir.py", line
> > 572, in open
> >    return BzrDir.open_from_transport(t, _unsupported=_unsupported)
> >  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/bzrdir.py", line
> > 614, in open_from_transport
> >    return format.open(transport, _found=True)
> >  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/bzrdir.py", line
> > 1438, in open
> >    return self._open(transport)
> >  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/plugins/svn/
> > format.py", line 71, in _open
> >    return remote.SvnRemoteAccess(transport, self)
> [...]

I think the problem is the fact that bzr-svn doesn't pick up the
username. bzr-svn doesn't support usernames in urls at the moment (it
passes the url on verbatim to subversion, which doesn't support it).

You can do two things to fix this:

* Make sure svn caches the username for the repository. This should be a
matter of running "svn proplist
https://papyrus.usask.ca/svn/dept/gt/trunk/" without the --username
argument. Subversion will ask you for the username and should cache it.

* Install a recent Subversion 1.5 snapshot and use bzr-svn 0.4.6. In
this situation, bzr-svn should prompt you for a username/password
combination.

Cheers,

Jelmer

This is a bug in bzr-svn.

  affects bzr-svn
  status triaged
  importance medium
  summary "Discards credentials specified in URL"

Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org