[MERGE] Implement hard-link support for branch and checkout

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Jan 3 00:59:12 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 19:38 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> We're not talking about a just branch here.  The patch adds support to
> checkout too, and I've got support ready for cbranch also.  You want
> merge?  I can do merge, too.  Revert would just be a pain, though.
>
> But more importantly, it's not a special case, it's a recommended
> workflow: feature branches.  You branch (or cbranch), commit, maybe
> merge, and submit.  I think we should promote this workflow, so I
> think
> we should try to make it very convenient to use.  Just because we can
> do
> it the inconvenient way doesn't mean we shouldn't do it the convenient
> way.  People should feel free to branch at the drop of a hat.

If you consider built files such as object files, configure output and
the like, separate working trees become extremely costly. Users in those
environments want 'switch' functionality much more than hardlinking.

I completely agree about making branches at the drop of a hat easy; I
think solving it for the C++ crowd will require really good switch-like
behaviour, and having that behaviour recommended will further reduce the
need for hardlinking source files.

That said, I've already indicated I'm not going to bb : reject this.

-Rob