Incorrect results from annotate on packs

Lukáš Lalinský lalinsky at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 19:07:00 GMT 2007

On Pi, 2007-12-28 at 19:39 +0100, Lukáš Lalinský wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was working on qannotate that won't freeze the GUI with packs and
> decided to go the DIY route. When I was testing my implementation I've
> noticed that I'm getting different results -- the test case was
> bzrlib/builtins.py and surprisingly many revisions from 'bzr annotate'
> that were marked as introduced by PQM. For example the first line ('#
> Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Canonical Ltd') using my
> algorithm
> is:
>
> 2279.3.1 mbp at sourcefrog.net-20070213092108-i27nldyjijw0cqsq
>
> but 'bzr annotate' says it's:
>
> 3052 pqm at pqm.ubuntu.com-20071129180655-yv661adx0qb6a50z
>
> Since I couldn't see how PQM could touch this line in that revision,
> I've downloaded bzr.dev.knits to double-check it using the old
> incremental algorithm from knits and 'bzr annotate' on the knit branch
> agrees with my algorithm.
>
> Any ideas why it gives wrong results on packs?

Hmm, one more set of differences. This time between my implementation
and knits. According to my implementation line 3 in builtins.py was
introduced by 1147, which is the revision in which the file was added.
According to 'bzr annotate' knits it's 974.1.89, but I don't see this
revision touching builtins.py at all (against it's only parent), so I'm
guessing 1147 is the correct origin of that line. Am I wrong?

Lukas