[MERGE] Implement diff --using natively

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Dec 28 07:38:51 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 22:50 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> > - (possibly) tool does not accept options
>
> How would you detect this?  Exit codes?  I don't know if there's enough
> regularity for that.  For example, gvimdiff produces exit code 1 when
> given bad options, but for diff, exit code 1 means "files are different".

Something like that. A better question perhaps is
'How will we tell that the tool failed and the user did not get their
diff?'

Perhaps requiring that the tool emit 'gnu diff' exit codes is
reasonable?

> > And:
> > - your tests require diff, please add a requireFeature call for a Diff
> > feature.
>
> Really?  Which tests?

Oh, it looked like they did. If they don't actually run an external tool
then never mind (but how can you tell it's working ? :))

-Rob