Announcement: I'm joining Canonical (and Cart needs a home)

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Thu Dec 20 16:03:24 GMT 2007

Martin Pool wrote:
> Bundle Buggy is one of my favourite tools, and I hope this takes it
> (at least the concept if not the code) into a new and exciting phase,
> where it has the same good workflow features, but tighter integration
> with Launchpad's branch hosting, teams, bugs, mail and other features.

When we get together for my initiation sprint, I've been thinking of
approaching the code-review system from a "why not do it the way BB
does?".  Not that I expect we can in every case, but it would give me a
better feel for how the requirements differ between the LP code-review
system and BB.

Martin Pool wrote:
> Right.  Personally, I would like to see a single codebase that could
> both integrate well with Launchpad and also be used standalone, as (is
> starting to happen) with loggerhead.

It's nice to have that support.

> One of the cool things about BB
> is that it uses low-tech but effective links to hook into email and
> Launchpad bugs.

Yes, that's an artifact of Bundle Buggy's strong results-oriented design
and the desire to avoid wasting effort.  Remember that initially, I had
no idea whether BB would be a successful project, and I didn't want to
waste a lot of time if it wasn't.

There are a couple of options here:
1. Launchpad could integrate BB proper, in such a way that BB was
available as Free software, with optional LP integration.  That would
allow BB to exist indefinitely.  This is somewhat problematic because
Launchpad's framework is different from BB's.

2. I could be evil and focus on making BB so much better than Launchpad
that Bazaar would always use it.

3. Someone else could take over development from me.

All of these options presuppose that there's value in BB as an
independent project.  So far, I'm not sure that BB has enough of an
audience for that.  It's used by two Bazaar-related projects, and that's
all I'm aware of.  When Bazaar switches to LP, BB might have no users,
or only bzr-gtk.  In which case, it's hard to be motivated to update it
anyway.

Aaron