Accelerate build_tree by using working tree files

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Thu Dec 20 02:20:58 GMT 2007

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Ian Clatworthy wrote:

>> * creating a local branch: 63.9 -> 33.1
>
> Could you send me the callgrind.out for that?  I would have expected
> better.  This is still using a shared-repo, right?  It's barely reading
> or writing any files, so what's it doing?

Attached (compressed).

>> Note that checkout and lightweight checkout performance drop slightly
>> though: 64 -> 66 seconds.
>
> Are you using --files-from?  (You're not branching or checking out
> *from* a lightweight checkout, are you?  That case wasn't handled by
> that version.)

I'm not currently. Firstly, --files-from is not in 1.0 (right?) and I
want the benchmark to be useful there, in the short term at least.
Secondly, I can't really think of a Use Case for making a local checkout
(even though I'm benchmarking it). If there is one, I'm ok with adding
the option but otherwise, I'd prefer the local checkout benchmark to be
a lower bound of the common remote checkout case. Hmm - I guess you
could easily have a few remote checkouts in the one repo and genuinely
apply --files-from then? Real shame we can't auto-detect a useful tree
though like you must be doing for branch ...

Ian C.