[MERGE/HELP!!!] Accelerate build_tree by using working tree files

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Wed Dec 19 14:47:37 GMT 2007

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Ian Clatworthy wrote:
>> Aaron Bentley wrote:
>> I'm in the process of benchmarking 40-50 different bzr operations on
>> lots of different code bases right now. Here are the slowest ones from
>> my testing so far, together with the time in seconds for FireFox:
>
>> * export (90.1)
>> * lightweight checkout (64.4)
>> * checkout (64.1)
>> * branch (63.9)
>> * initial commit (49.1).
>
> I'd be interested to hear how this version does.

Together with the hard link patch, the results are pretty nice IMO:

* creating a local branch: 63.9 -> 33.1
* disk usage drops a lot as well: 1.53G to 1.21G

The disk usage is the total of a repo + 2 branches + checkout + a
lightweight checkout, i.e. mostly 4 working trees.

Note that checkout and lightweight checkout performance drop slightly
though: 64 -> 66 seconds.

> I also have a patch to do hard links, but that doesn't seem to be much
> of a win:
> Old (Best of 3)
> real    0m1.365s
> user    0m1.112s
> sys     0m0.236s
>
> New (Best of 3)
> real    0m1.259s
> user    0m1.052s
> sys     0m0.176s

I benchmarked with both so I don't have figures without this yet. It's
great for the space efficiency gain regardless isn't it?

Ian C.