bzr and biiig repo

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Tue Dec 18 18:26:04 GMT 2007

This is continue of recent story of Vlad Adamenko. More details.

His current project is about 40GB in about of 80K files. svn history
more than 1K.

AFAIK bzr currently unable to handle such big repositories?

But strange thing about problem with checkout on Windows machine and
MemoryError. If he does full checkout or branching from the Linux server
over sftp -- operation fails with MemoryError, and bzr process eats more
than 750MB RAM. But when he doing lightweight checkout -- process
successfully finished and bzr eats about 50MB RAM. Why?

When I recommend to Vlad to try bzr+ssh -- the same MemoryError, but in
this case on server side. He said error message told about incorrect
response from server:

vlad at VFX:$ bzr up
bzr at server's password:
bzr: ERROR: Could not understand response from smart server: ('error',
'out of memory')

I suggest to file a bug report, but in the case with lightweight
checkout is not clear what exactly should be in the bug report.

Vlad willing to help in solving MemoryError problem, but he is not
familiar with bzrlib codebase, and I cant help here much, because for me
some part of bzrlib is hard to understand (or maybe I dont have enough
time to dig and dig deeper and deeper).

Vlad also asks about nested tree support.