[RFC] Better hooks for Bazaar

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Dec 18 04:06:52 GMT 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 12:47 AM, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> To start with, a few of our hook apis are:
>
> def some_hook(rich_object):
>
> while others are:
>
> def some_hook(source, target, master, rev_id, other, yet_another,
>               oops_missed_one):
>
> I think the "rich_object" is a lot better for hooks.

I agree it's better.  Normally (I hope, universally) the object is
called a Result object, and it's the same thing returned from the
high-level operation like .commit.  I think consistency there is also
useful.

I think this pattern should also extend to shell hooks - passing data
in to them through environment variables or some other mechanism
allowing future expansion.

--
Martin