uninstall/upgrade?

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Dec 17 22:59:37 GMT 2007

> The only problem with "setup.py install" for an upgrade, is that it doesn't get
> rid of existing files that have been removed.
>
> In general, that shouldn't be a huge problem with Bazaar. The only case I know
> of, is when we started using something from the python standard library xml.*.
> And we had a "bzrlib/xml.py" for a while. We had to change the name of our
> file, to get access to the stdlib files. But upgrading didn't help, because it
> left your xml.py file behind. That was >1 year ago, and since then, I don't
> know of any other case where having a stale file would cause any harm.

That was pretty annoying.

I think there is some magic in distutils to do with knowing what
version an installed package belongs to.  I think I have sometimes
seen it decide not to overwrite an installed package it thinks is
newer.  So I suspect you can get it to do a cleaner upgrade than that.

Anyhow, I hope sometime we'll get distutils better integrated so that
sdist and building rpms and so on works, and perhaps sort this out as
part of it.  I know Robert thinks distutils is annoying compared to
Make, which is kind of true, but fitting python standards is good.

--
Martin