[MERGE/RFC] Un-hide split command

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Dec 17 16:51:05 GMT 2007

Am Montag, den 17.12.2007, 10:04 -0500 schrieb Aaron Bentley:
> Now that we have supported formats with rich-root support, I think it
> makes sense to support the split command.
>
> Split has been hidden for some time, because it requires rich roots.
> This patch updates it to use the cloning format where possible, and fall
> back to the 'rich-root' format.
>
> Since rich-root is a watershed, I could be convinced that it should
> error if the tree is not already in a format that supports rich roots
> (rich-root, dirstate-with-subtrees, rich-root-pack, etc).  Any strong
> opinions?
Yes, I think it should indeed error out if the current branch is in a
format that does not support rich roots. At the very least it should
warn.

One of the nice things about Bazaar is that it allows the user to make
the tradeoff between new features and backwards compatibility. Silently
upgrading would take that choice away from the (unknowing) user.

Cheers,

Jelmer
Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org