[RFC] Better hooks for Bazaar

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Dec 17 16:41:19 GMT 2007

Am Montag, den 17.12.2007, 23:35 +1000 schrieb Ian Clatworthy:
> We're had a few complaints that hooks in Bazaar are too hard to get
> going compared to other systems. While I'm looking into fixing that, I
> thought I'd ask for advice/recommendations on how hooks in general ought
> to be improved in Bazaar.
>
> In case anyone is interested, I've put together some notes covering what
> hooks are supported by bzr, svn, git and hg, together with how to
> configure them in the various systems: http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrHooks.
> There's more variation than I expected FWIW.
>
> Some questions:
>
> * If you're using hooks in Bazaar, how would you like to have configured
>   them compared to how you had to?
I think the fact that with the original post-commit hooks implementation
you had to manually specify the Python functions has made a few bad
impressions. I don't think post-commit hooks are hard to configure at
the moment if you're using a plugin that provides the hook.

It maybe useful though to allow users to run custom executables as hooks
rather than requiring them to know how to code Python, though I know I'm
not the first to say that.

> * Did you prefer hooks in other systems and why? Was it the available
>   hooks, how they were configured or both?
Being able to set server side hooks would be nice (post-push-hooks or
something). If I have a shared branch that I work on with several
people, it's nice if we only have to configure the hooks once for our
shared branch (or shared repository we all own branches in) rather than
having all contributors configure a post-commit hook on their local
machine.

> * Any other ideas/thoughts?
a pre-export hook would be nice, but I already filed a bug about that.

Cheers,

Jelmer
Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org