[RFC] Better hooks for Bazaar

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Mon Dec 17 13:35:56 GMT 2007

We're had a few complaints that hooks in Bazaar are too hard to get
going compared to other systems. While I'm looking into fixing that, I
thought I'd ask for advice/recommendations on how hooks in general ought
to be improved in Bazaar.

In case anyone is interested, I've put together some notes covering what
hooks are supported by bzr, svn, git and hg, together with how to
configure them in the various systems: http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrHooks.
There's more variation than I expected FWIW.

Some questions:

* If you're using hooks in Bazaar, how would you like to have configured
  them compared to how you had to?

* Did you prefer hooks in other systems and why? Was it the available
  hooks, how they were configured or both?

* Any other ideas/thoughts?

If anyone has hooks they would like to share with others, let me know
and we can either make them standard ones or more obvious on the Wiki.

Thanks,
Ian C.