Confused about the output of 'bzr log --f --limit=X'

Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
Fri Dec 14 13:07:52 GMT 2007

* Vincent Vertigo [Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:59:47 +0100]:

> Hi,

> First, using bzr from command-line, I find the 'forward / --f' option
> mandatory as soon as my branch exceeds 50 revisions: I am usually more
> interested in the log of my latest revisions, and it seems more logical to
> me in that chronological order.
> Am I the only one?

Hello Vincent. I think you're definitely not the only one, I have myself
aliased 'bzr log' to 'bzr log --forward', and have an alias as well for
'bzr log --f -r last:5..'.

> What's more confusing to me is that, always using "bzr log --f", I have no
> use for option '--limit=X', as it limits the revision output to the first X
> revisions.
> >From a system that Just Works :-) I would expect 'bzr log --f --limit=10' to
> output the latest 10 revisions from my branch.

Well, the option does what it says it does, limits the output to the
first N revisions, according to the current sorting order.

I definitely see an argument for changing it to "limit the output to the
N *newest* revisions". I'd be glad to hear what the developers think about
this.

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org