[MERGE][1.0?] cherrypicking/rebasing section for User Guide

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Thu Dec 13 21:30:11 GMT 2007

Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Rebasing is usually a bad idea.  We should not be encouraging it.
> That's why I haven't added "rebase" to bzrtools.  Any discussion of
> "rebase" should begin with "Why you shouldn't", which is
>
> 1. it breaks your ability to play well with others
> 2. and why are you using a dvcs if you don't want to play well with others?
>
> I appreciate that there are circumstances where rebase makes sense, and
> I'm not proposing we say nothing.  But I think that other communities'
> casual use of it is a terrible, terrible idea.

Aaron,

Thanks for your feedback here. I'm tweak the text right now accordingly.
My impression is that people like it for cleaning private branches
before sharing them. Once shared though, the cat has bolted, right?

> Rather than "advanced merging", how about "pseudo-merging"?  Or
> "history-losing operations"?

I like Pseudo merging.

> Also, performance was not a reason for not supporting cherry-picking as
> far as I know.  I believe it's just that no one has gotten around to it.

Ah. It always seemed like it would imply O(history) operations. I'll
remove that note altogether.

Ian C.