Bazaar is ignored in some places?

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Thu Dec 13 09:58:53 GMT 2007

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> Matt Nordhoff пишет:
>> Alexander Belchenko wrote:

>>> ^-- That's part is great.
>>>
>>> v-- But please, exclude this.

>>> <-- Because:
>>>
>>> When you wrote "Does not work well on case insensitive file systems" --
>>> it's just half of true. I am working on case insensitive filesystem
>>> *every* day. And it works *well*. There is some rough edges but they
>>> easily avoided. So your statement is misleading for such comparison.
>>>
>>> This part: "Needs native file system support for symlinks if it is to
>>> track symlinks" is also half of true. There is special plugin
>>> win32symlinks that allow symlinks versionning on win32. And it works. If
>>> you talk about webdav support via plugins, then why not talk about
>>> symlinks support via plugin?
>>
>> Ok, how about this:
>>
>> "Case-insensitive file system support has some rough edges. Bazaar can
>> only track symlinks on file systems without native support for them
>> through a plugin."
>
> I'd like to say: "Case-insensitive file system support has some issues."
> It's more neutral definition for the fact that user is able to shoot at
> his own leg when he type filename in incorrect case in command-line.
> Any GUI plugin reduce probability of this error to zero.

That sounds OK to me.

If there was more space, I'd like to include that they aren't serious
data-loss issues, just confusing "bzr status"es and stuff. What about
when two files only differing in case are created on some case-sensitive
FS and a CIFS user tries to "bzr up"?

> And BTW, svn also have some issues with different cases on windows.
> I specially check it.

I just asked, and Hg does too. Wheee!

<snip>