Bazaar is ignored in some places?

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Thu Dec 13 09:27:24 GMT 2007

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> Nils Ackermann пишет:
>> David Clymer <david at zettazebra.com> writes:
>>
>>> I emailed the author recently, suggesting an update and explaining that
>>> it wasn't just an arch fork anymore, and was referred here:
>>>
>>> http://better-scm.berlios.de/contribute/#comprison_new_system
>>>
>>> So, if anyone wants to be a "champion"...
>>
>> Based on the feedback from the list I filled out the questionnaire,
>> see below.  I'll wait two days for comments before submitting to
>>
>> http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/comparison.html
>>
>> Please check 1(f,g), 2(c), 3(c-e), 4(a,b); there were some discussions
>> about these, and I'm not an expert, just a casual user of Bazaar.
>
>> ** (e) Portability
>>
>> How portable is the version-control system to various operating
>> systems,
>> computer architectures, and other types of systems?
>>
>> Answer:
>>
>> Works on Windows, Linux, OS X, FreeBSD and basically on any system
>> that has a recent Python port.
>
> ^-- That's part is great.
>
> v-- But please, exclude this.
>
>> Does not work well on case insensitive
>> file systems.  Needs native file system support for symlinks if it is
>> to track symlinks.
>

> <-- Because:
>
> When you wrote "Does not work well on case insensitive file systems" --
> it's just half of true. I am working on case insensitive filesystem
> *every* day. And it works *well*. There is some rough edges but they
> easily avoided. So your statement is misleading for such comparison.
>
> This part: "Needs native file system support for symlinks if it is to
> track symlinks" is also half of true. There is special plugin
> win32symlinks that allow symlinks versionning on win32. And it works. If
> you talk about webdav support via plugins, then why not talk about
> symlinks support via plugin?

Ok, how about this:

"Case-insensitive file system support has some rough edges. Bazaar can
only track symlinks on file systems without native support for them
through a plugin."

I think case-insensitive FS support is somewhere between "rough edges"
and "does not work well", though.

About the WebDAV plugin, after reading another message on the list, I
think it should be described as "experimental" or something.