[RFC] bzr-eclipse roadmap

Guillermo Gonzalez guillo.gonzo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 19:48:31 GMT 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 3:52 PM, Wichmann, Mats D <mats.d.wichmann at intel.com> wrote:

[snip]

> "check in the current file" isn't really very interesting in a
> dvcs in most cases, it's a cvs-ish concept.  What if I edit two
> files as my "changeset" and the plugin encourages me to check in
> each one separately, because the commit action appears to be
> associated with the individual file?  That wouldn't be good.

The plugin don't encourage "check in the current file", the current
implementation is "check in the current selection". In the only case
it uses "check in the current file" is when you are editing a file and
use a shortcut or the toolbar menu to commit, and this happens because
the selection is the current file (in the editor).

> The default should definitely be to commit on the branch, with a
> possibility to commit on current directory-and-below ("bzr commit .")
> as easily accessible.

The only problem I see in the "commit on the branch" as default is
that in eclipse, the top level unit of work is the Project. A project
can be inside a branch or be a branch itself.
In the eclipse ecosystem, the project seems more intuitive, but I
might be wrong :)

> As another comment (I do owe some more reactions on the plugin
> in general), is there any way to associate the bazaar activities
> with something more intuitive than the tag "Team"?

As an alternative you can enable the toolbar menu using "Window -->
Customize perspective" option, this enable a Bzr menu that conatins
all Bazaar related actions.

> I certainly don't think of "Team" when I want to commit a change to version
> control, and my first few tries with the plugin I had to do
> quite a bit of hunting to find what I wanted because it was so
> unintuitive.

About the Team menu, the location of all vcs related action under it
is a standard defined in Eclipse itself, but it can be modified and
put the Bazaar actions under a Bazaar/Bzr? menu. The only problem I
see with this approach is that the majority of Eclipse users expect to
have the VCS related actions under the Team menu (mostly for
historical reasons CVS/SVN).
As an alternative we can keep using the Team menu for the common vcs
operations, and create a Bazaar/Bzr menu for specific commands, but I
don't known if having two menus will solve this or make it worse.

Regards,

Guillermo.

PD: I really appreciate your comments