[RFC] bzr-eclipse roadmap

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Dec 12 18:52:18 GMT 2007

bazaar-bounces at lists.canonical.com wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2007 7:37 AM, Nicholas Allen <allen at ableton.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Guillermo,
>>

> Hi Nicholas,
>
>> I noticed that you have added a bzr menu to the menu bar. That's
>> great! Thanks ;-)
>>
>> The only thing I would say is it would be nice if the global menu bar
>> could be used to check in the whole branch and not just the current
>> file in the editor. I check in the whole branch much more than a
>> single file and the commit dialog allows me to selectively choose
>> which files get committed anyway. So I think it would be better if
>> commit was always for the branch and not the currently edited file.
>
> It sounds reasonable, but I don't want to make a all or nothing
> choice. What do you think if the commit action operates by default on
> the current selection, but the user can setup other default target for
> the commit?, like the project or the branch containing that project
> (bzr-eclipse have basic support for multiple projects by branch),
> using the preferences (Preferences --> Team --> Bazaar)

"check in the current file" isn't really very interesting in a
dvcs in most cases, it's a cvs-ish concept.  What if I edit two
files as my "changeset" and the plugin encourages me to check in
each one separately, because the commit action appears to be
associated with the individual file?  That wouldn't be good.
The default should definitely be to commit on the branch, with a
possibility to commit on current directory-and-below ("bzr commit .")
as easily accessible.

As another comment (I do owe some more reactions on the plugin
in general), is there any way to associate the bazaar activities
with something more intuitive than the tag "Team"?  I certainly
don't think of "Team" when I want to commit a change to version
control, and my first few tries with the plugin I had to do
quite a bit of hunting to find what I wanted because it was so
unintuitive.