bzr log http+urllib does not work, http+pycurl is too slow

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Wed Dec 12 15:39:11 GMT 2007

>>>>> "bialix" == Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> writes:

<snip/>

    bialix> Yes, this helps. Now urllib works in the same manner as
    bialix> pycurl. And shows how many bytes left on the socket :-)

    >> :-/
    >>
    >> That, my friend, is some very bad news.... Well, the good news is
    >> that the patch fixes the bug at least...

    bialix> I prefer to pick the good news from the cake.

Yeah, one bug at a time ;-)

    >> And sorry for asking again, but can you do that one more time
    >> with -Dhttp so that I can diagnose more easily. There may be
    >> several GET requests for one readv (that's should not be the case
    >> here, but seeing the ranges requested may help evaluate the
    >> wasted bandwidth :/ ).

    bialix> Just sent. Do you need similar log for unpatched bzr
    bialix> version? To see where traceback occurs.

Thanks, this one is enough, the problem is crystal clear.

    >> We have a bad situation here, because even if the http transport
    >> can reuse the whole file transferred inside one readv, it will
    >> not be able to reuse that file *across* several readv if we don't
    >> add a local cache (which we want to avoid for several reasons).

    bialix> I understand situation, but I don't know all reasons why we avoid
    bialix> caching.

Mainly we don't want to hit the disk for network operations or we
will compromise the optimizations related to disk operations.

Then that local cache has never been specified and its intended
behavior is unclear.

<snip/>

    bialix> In my case dummy server is bad server. It's the server
    bialix> limitation, not bzr itself. I can live with this bad situation
    bialix> and my dummy Trac installation because I have option to run smart
    bialix> server and because I'm inside my own local windows network.

Ok. I have to search a bit more (more than a bit even) to
identify such servers but any 1.1 compliant server should be ok
(yours tell us it is 1.0) and that should be the vast majority.

    bialix> We need to file a bug though to at least be informed about its
    bialix> existence.

Done: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/175886

But this is also related to
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/175524.

    bialix> How to fix it -- it's another story, IIUC.

I'll post a interim patch ASAP and ask feedback from the list.

Hey ! List ! What do *you* think ?

     Vincent