Bazaar is ignored in some places?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Dec 11 18:51:16 GMT 2007

Am Dienstag, den 11.12.2007, 13:37 -0500 schrieb Matt Nordhoff:
> Nils Ackermann wrote:
> > David Clymer <david at zettazebra.com> writes:

> >> I emailed the author recently, suggesting an update and explaining
> >> that it wasn't just an arch fork anymore, and was referred here:
> >>
> >> http://better-scm.berlios.de/contribute/#comprison_new_system
> >>
> >> So, if anyone wants to be a "champion"...
> >
> > I'd jump in if people on the list help me fill out the questionnaire I
> > prepared:

> > From that I'll prepare the necessary xml and submit it to the site.
> >
> > To see the answers other scms gave, check
> >
> > http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/comparison.html
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nils
>
> I think I've mostly covered it, except that I don't know much about the
> GUIs.

> > ** (b) Tracking Uncommited Changes
> >
> > Does the software has an ability to track the changes in the working copy that
> > were not yet commited to the repository?
>
> I don't know what that means. It can show what the changes are...

> > Answer:

> > ** (c) Per-File Commit Messages
> >
> > Does the system has a way to assign a per-file commit message to the changeset,
> > as well as a per-changeset message?
>
> No.
Work has started on it though - at least bzr-gtk supports it. Perhaps John can comment on this?

> > ** (d) Networking Support
> >
> > How well is the networking integration in the system? How compliant it with
> > existing protocols and infra-structure.

> > Answer:
>
> It's very good, though not very fast.
>
> Dumb = Bazaar does not need to be installed on the server.
> Smart = The client communicates with a Bazaar server program on the
> server ("bzr serve")
>
> Read-only, dumb:
> http
>
> Read-only, smart:
> bzr (custom protocol)
> bzr+http (Currently has a path-handling bug that, while not a security
> vulnerability or anything, means it doesn't work in most configurations.
> There is a patch that is actively being worked on.)
>
> Read-write, dumb:
> ftp
> sftp
>
> Read-write, smart:
> bzr+ssh

There is also support for the Subversion protocols through a plugin:
svn
svn+sssh

and for webdav, through a plugin:
http

> > Answer:

> > ** (b) Availability of Graphical User-Interfaces.
> >
> > What is the availability of graphical user-interfaces for the system? How many
> > GUI clients are present for it?

> > Answer:
>
> There are QBzr (Qt-based), bzr-gtk (GTK+) and TortoiseBzr (I think). I
> don't think any of them are that mature, but they're progressing pretty
> rapidly.
>
> I don't know much about this area.
There's also bzr-eclipse (integration for Eclipse), integration in meld.
bzr-gtk is quite mature, perhaps beta-quality or something?

TortoiseBzr is alpha and so is nautilus-bzr.

Cheers,

Jelmer
Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org