[MERGE] [1.0] Move material out of User Guide into User Reference

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Tue Dec 11 15:16:03 GMT 2007

Aaron Bentley пишет:

> Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>>> In my view, the ReST versions are not an internal thing.  Many
>>> commandline users prefer plaintext, and the ReST versions of the files
>>> are useful to them.
>> Are you say now about bzr.dev hackers or about end users?
>
> End users.
>
>> I want to note one more time: setup.py by default don't install anything
>> in Linux system. Is it the bug?
>
> Yes.

So we need to file the bug and fix it.

>>> but I definitely think we should be shipping plaintext documentation
>>> on Unix.
>> In this case this documentation should be built before tarball created.
>
> How can this documentation be built?  It already exists.  There's
> nothing to build.

I disagree. doc/en/user-reference/bzr_man.txt is auto-generated text.
And Ian's patch is all about this file. It's complete manual collecting
various text chunks from help topics and help for commands.

>> Unfortunately we create full text documentation only as part of building
>> html docs. If you want to see correct plaintext documentation in the
>> source tarball we should start create it. Right now there is no complete
>> plaintext documentation. There is big part of docs, but not all.
>
> Could you explain what you mean by "complete plaintext documentation"?

I mean that doc/en/user-reference/bzr_man.txt is complete plaintext
manual. I think it's almost the same as bzr.1 manpage, but I'm not sure.
But IIUC you're talking now not about manpage and html, but plaintext.
For me bzr_man.txt is essential part of bzr documentation set.
And when bzr_man.txt is properly generated it contains all texts you're
want to see in plain text.

Does creating and packaging bzr_man.txt will satisfy your request to
have plaintext documentation in bzr sources tarball?