bzr serve

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Dec 6 20:23:47 GMT 2007

Balint Aradi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>   sorry for disturbing this apparently busy list with that minor issue,
> but I was trying to implement a wrapper script for providing basic
> access control for repositores accessed through bzr+ssh protocol (like
> hg-login for mercurial)
>
> During that, I was testing the following command
>
>   bzr ls bzr+ssh://mybzr/test/trunk
>
> and saw that bzr tries to exectute the command
>
>   bzr serve --inet --directory=/ --allow-writes
>
> on the machine mybzr. I'm a little bit surprised by the --directory=/
> option. Would it be not more appropriate to set --directory=/test/trunk
> instead? Or do I miss something important?
>
>   Thanks for your answer in advance.
>
>   Best regards,
>
>    Bálint Aradi

The directory supplied to the command might be a subdirectory of the actual
branch or repository. Some commands might know right away if they are trying to
open a branch at that exact location, but many are designed to search upwards
for a branch.

Further, the shared repository might be even higher in the search path than the
branch itself. So while "/test/trunk" might be a branch, the repository might
be in "/test".

We don't know any of this until we have actually connected and searched for a
branch or repository.

I'm guessing we need to supply some sort of --directory, because otherwise bzr
serve defaults to serving only from the current working directory. Which would
mean that you could only access things underneath your home directory, and not
over in /srv/bzr/branches (where I put my code).

I suppose my only problem with "--directory=/" is that I'm not sure what that
does on Windows, but I suppose that also depends on who is providing SSH
access, and how those processes then see the filesystem.