removing added-in-error files

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Dec 6 05:43:12 GMT 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 3:20 PM, Wichmann, Mats D <mats.d.wichmann at intel.com> wrote:
> After an "add" of a directory picked up some things left lying
> around in it, I tried to clean up before committing:
>
> $ bzr help rm
> Purpose: Remove files or directories.
> Usage:   bzr remove [FILE...]

>   --new          Remove newly-added files.
>
> $ bzr rm --new python.man*
> bzr: ERROR: Can't remove changed or unknown files:
> added:
>   Python/interpreter/python.man
>   Python/interpreter/python.man.xml
> Use --keep to not delete them, or --force to delete them regardless.
>

> Huh?  they're neither changed nor unknown, they're "added", and the
> help just told me to use --new to remove newly-added files.

As it happens Ian mentioned this too today.

Normally bzr rm removes the working copy too, rather than just
unversioning them.  Also, we normally don't want to delete files which
the user can't restore from a previous version, unless they've
indicated with --force that that's ok.    In this case newly added
files can't be restored so we don't want to delete them.

What were you expecting would happen?  Would it be ok if the message
was just more clear?
--
Martin