[MERGE][RFC] switch for heavyweight checkouts

Dave Brueck dave.brueck at protoven.com
Wed Dec 5 19:45:59 GMT 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:56 AM, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> The attached patch extends switch to support heavyweight checkouts.
> I've
> marked this as RFC because I'm happy with it semantically but I
> appreciate that others might not be.
[snip]

Ian, thanks very much for this.

> My view is that, excluding uncommitted changes in the working
> tree which ought to be merged in, switching a checkout should have the
> same effect as removing the current checkout and creating a new one.
> In
> other words, the local branch ought to be made a mirror of the branch
> you're switching to.

That's what my expectation is too, although I will readily admit that
I might not fully understand the nuances of the alternative. :)

I'll continue to play with the patch, but so far it works great and
seems to do exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again,
-Dave