[RFC] strip out trailing quote character in file paths?

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Wed Dec 5 13:04:14 GMT 2007

Alexander Belchenko wrote:

> IIRC, bzr does not allow " character in paths? Or am I wrong here?
> Windows does not allow such character in paths when someone try to
> create new file or directory (actually list of forbidden characters is \
> / :  * ? " < > | ).
>
> I want to provide patch to automatically fix such broken paths inside
> bzr. Should I emit warning when " automatically stripped?
> Does such patch should be win32-specific or for all OSes? I know
> on Linux user may use almost all characters in filenames, but bzr anyway
> has some limitations here.

This sounds like a bad idea to me. If the problem is in the file
manager, then hacking workarounds into tools to accommodate it is fixing
the symptom, not the cause. If someone makes mistakes in a script and
includes a trailing ", we really ought to complain about an unknown
path, not just implicitly strip it.

If you really, really want to do this, please make it a plug-in instead
of a core change.

Ian C.