bzr.dev performance, release performance, constraints and accommodations

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Wed Dec 5 06:37:03 GMT 2007

<snip/>

    Ian> Would it be acceptable to have the band-aids
    Ian> enabled/disabled by a developer-only configuration
    Ian> option? It would be off by default and enabled as part
    Ian> of the release process.

I agree with Robert that hiding the side-effects means, well, you
don't see them so it doesn't itch. I thought about a switch to
enable them too, but even that smells.

So I'd prefer that we don't add the band-aids. But if we do, I'd
like a switch to disable them for my own use.

For most of my use cases, bzr is fast enough as it is, so I
prefer to experience where it feels slower.

While fixing bug #173010, I was confronted with a similar
situation regarding latency, the bug itself was more significant
for sites with high latency, but not being able to experience it
myself made my feeling about it wrong.

It's one thing to imagine what the user will feel it's another to
experience it first hand.

           Vincent