[merge][1.0] ask people to send tracebacks to Launchpad; better readme text about support

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Dec 5 04:44:36 GMT 2007

At the moment, when we hit an unexpected exception, we ask people to
send it by mail to the bazaar list.  This has, I think, done pretty
well at giving us good information when people hit a problem, and also
a measure of how many people are hitting a particular thing.  Also, if
a user does have a problem, they're not left at a loose end.

I think we should now direct people to Launchpad rather than this
list.  Most people reporting bugs are not list subscribers (and don't
want to be), so their posts need to be moderated, and they may not
find out how it was resolved.  Also, the vast majority are either new
bugs, or dupes of existing bugs, and in either case going straight
into Launchpad does this more efficiently.

It's true that people will be asked to make a Launchpad account; there
is a bug open asking for it to be possible to file bugs or questions
without prior registration.  But really, to have a means to contact
people again and to avoid spam we do need some confirmation.

It's possible this will generate too many unclassified dupes or poor
bug reports but I think it's worth a try.

Also, this patch offers more ways to contact us directly in the readme.

--
Martin