possible things for 1.1

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Dec 4 03:14:26 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 21:35 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > Formats:
> >  - doing a git-like thing with tags might be good, allowing 'switch'
> > select a tag to switch to. Not because I think this is a great way
> > work, but some people do value it, and tags are cheaper to enumerate
> > than directories.
>
> The way I was thinking of providing git-like workflow was by sticking
> branches in a new directory, .bzr/branches, and providing a shortcut
for
> naming them.  So that e.g. "bzr switch @feature-7" would be equivalent
> to "bzr switch .bzr/branches/feature-7".

That would certainly work.

> In your proposal don't the tags just become a new kind of branch?

Not really; because I wasn't thinking about push policy signing etc etc
changing; instead you would be pushing to a single other mega-branch all
the time. I'm not sure its the right way; but it seems like a cheap
answer to some of the requests we get.

> >  - journalled dirstate
>
> Also, it would be nice to update merge and revert so that they don't
> require inventory access.  I can't do this alone though.  At minimum,
> need a dirstate-facing implementation of apply_inventory_delta.

There is much of such an implementation written as part of my commit
optimisation. It needs to be adapted/extended/act as inspiration for the
full mccoy though.

> >  - file copies
>
> I'll stock up on antacids :-P

:)

Also, I forgot about remote stuff - more streaming things, and the
negotiation for graph data / RemoteGraph object, and reconcile on the
remote side, and handling more complex parent text compression stuff
there too.

-Rob