possible things for 1.1

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Dec 4 00:51:22 GMT 2007

So I'm won't be around #bzr much for the next few weeks - I'm taking
some time off work (I will likely still be round, but in a purely social
sense).

John asked me to do a brain dump though, of things floating around my
head. So here goes.

Formats:
 - doing a git-like thing with tags might be good, allowing 'switch' to
select a tag to switch to. Not because I think this is a great way to
work, but some people do value it, and tags are cheaper to enumerate
than directories.
 - new inventory format that can commit without reading the basis and
parsing it all the way up (first of N new formats)
 - xdelta compression in packs, aim to halve storage size (half IO to
reconstruct something should compensate for increased CPU to line split
at the end).
 - annotation cache for packs
 - revno cache for branches?
 - journalled dirstate
 - partial-dirstate-has-fileid-answers

algorithms:
 - dominator based merge_sort
 - incremental log
 - parallelising pull (round trip 1: find a rev to pull,
round trip 2: find its parents, and the inventory of the rev
round trip 3: find their parents, and the inv of the first parents, and
the texts of the first rev)
etc.
 - incrementally preprocessed graph reachability answering
 - N way merge (solve equal-LCA problem without extra conflicts)

features:
 - pluggable merge (like the new pluggable diff)
 - hooks to easily run external commands for merge and diff
 - file copies

Thats the off the cuff stuff :)

-Rob