bzr pull bzr.dev is really slow

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sat Dec 1 14:36:20 GMT 2007

Nicholas Allen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just recently noticed that pulling bzr.dev from
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev is really slow. I pulled yesterday and
> it took around 15 minutes and then the same again today.
>
> I guess this could be caused by a number of things:
>
>  - Slow server
>  - Upgrading bzr.dev to packs?
>  - Massive changes being made the last 2 days meaning much more to
> download than usually.
>
> It doesn't seem to be a slow server because I get 100kb/s download
> speed. Perhaps it is large changes but it does not appear to be so many
> files that got modified.
>
> So I'm wondering if packs could be the cause of this?
>
> Nick

If your local repository is still knits (likely) then it has to rebuild the
knit data. Pulling from knits => packs is fairly fast, pulling from packs =>
knits is a bit slow.

If you are locally using packs and it is still slow, then there is something we
should be investigating.

In the short term, you can use:

  http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev.knits

Which is sync'd every hour.

As far as I know, that machine hasn't ever had bzr:// running on it. I think
mostly because of sys-admin rules. (The people who control Canonical servers
are *very* strict about firewall rules, most machines don't even have outbound
connections on ssh.)

If you feel it is slow, you are welcome to do:

  bzr --lsprof-file ../pull.callgrind pull

And put the result somewhere/compress it and send it to Robert or myself.

I would guess that the *transfer* phase (downloading everything) was actually
fast, as packs are very good at that. And it was just the rebuild phase that
was slow.

It would probably be possible to make pack => knits faster (if a delta hunk has
only 1 parent, then doesn't every line need to be annotated with
cur_revision?). But it just hasn't been something that we wanted to spend a lot
of time optimizing, versus making packs themselves and pack=>pack really fast.