[MERGE][bug #172701] Catch pycurl short reads and allows readv to issue several GET requests

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Nov 30 16:15:05 GMT 2007

Vincent Ladeuil wrote:
> This patch:
>
> - fixes bug #165061 in a more complete way, allowing readv to use
>   any number of ranges without falling back to single range
>   requests,
>
> - fixes bug #172701 by catching an additional short read
>   encountered by pycurl (in circumstances yet to be understood,
>   but the readv will now proceed instead of aborting),
>
> - add a -Dhttp flag which would have been helpful for this bug
>   and allows easier debugging of http (the sources had to be
>   modified previously), both implementations (pycurl and urllib)
>   issue the same output, but while urllib use mutter, pycurl
>   displays its output on stderr (libcurl provides an option to
>   redirect that but it's not available through pycurl).
>
> I will continue to improve the http behavior by rewriting the
> response parsing which should address bug #173010 and (may be
> also bug #173007).
>
>      Vincent

Vincent, you disappoint me. You have the wrong typo:
+ * htpp - trace http connections, requests and responses

Isn't this supposed to be "hhtp"?

There is some drive-by code cleanup being done. But I personally am happy to
see it.

- -        raise TestSkipped('pycurl does not check HTTP_PROXY '
- -            'for security reasons')
+        raise tests.TestSkipped('pycurl does not check HTTP_PROXY '
+                                'for security reasons')
^- At least the message here makes me think it should be a TestNotApplicable
rather than TestSkipped.

Your NEWS entries seem to miss the fact that the readv code is rewritten to
better support servers that have problems with lots of ranges. Give yourself
some credit.

Have you tried changing _max_readv_combine and seeing if it gives some help for
bugs like: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/173010
(no progress notification for a long time with http)