[MERGE] Make pack-0.92 be the default format.

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Nov 29 21:14:03 GMT 2007

From NEWS:
The default repository format is now "pack-0.92". To upgrade, please
reconcile your repository (``bzr reconcile``), and then upgrade
(``bzr upgrade``). "pack-0.92" offers substantially better scaling and
performance than the previous knits format. Some operations are slower
where the code already had bad scaling characteristics under knits, the
pack format makes such operations more visible as part of being more
scalable overall. We will correct such operations over the coming
releases and encourage the filing of bugs on any operation which you
observe to be slower in a packs repository. One particular case that we
do not intend to fix is pulling data from a pack repository into a knit
repository over a high latency link;  downgrading such data requires
reinsertion of the file texts, and this is a classic space/time
tradeoff. The current implementation is conservative on memory usage
because we need to support converting data from any tree without
problems. (Robert Collins, Martin Pool, #164476)