(fwd) reducing/measuring python memory usage

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Nov 28 23:51:41 GMT 2007

bazaar-bounces at lists.canonical.com wrote:
> I was thinking of mixing http://wingolog.org/pub/mem_usage.py into
> bzr as a plugin.
>
> -Rob
> --
> GPG key available at: <http://www.robertcollins.net/keys.txt>.

It would be interesting to see.  I've reported on my performance
issues and suspect a combination of a lot of memory usage computing
on branches with a lot of history/files plus the need to access
lots of files in the metadata (with buffer cache "cold") collectively
putting too much pressure on the vm subsystem, since the two share
(compete for) memory. The exact same operations are  relatively
crisp on a different system with lots of ram.  I'm not sure there's
any tool that can tell us about the effects of the second part of
the combination, but I can grub around a little.

Do we know if other currently interesting systems (git, hg, svn,
etc.) have to look at as many files during operations like commit?