Trying to get bzr.dev: Invalid http response

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Nov 28 23:49:07 GMT 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 3:50 AM, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

> Vincent Vertigo wrote:
> > And by the way, I am using bzr0.92 to do this.
> > (I was using 0.91 until an error about knitpack format "forced" me to
> > retry with bzr0.92)
> >

> Sounds a bit fishy. Robert did upgrade the branch to packs, which means you
> need at least 0.92 to read it.
>
> There are a few possibilities:
>
> 1) Make sure you can get to:
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev/.bzr/branch/format
>
> However, if you are getting far enough to get to *.pack, then bzr should have
> been able to get to it.
>
> 2) I'm guessing it is complaining because of a partial range request on that
> file. We fixed a small bug about this in bzr.dev (so that we issue fewer ranges).
>
> I'm very surprised to see it be 503: Service Unavailable.
> But it may be that a proxy is falling over because of a complicated range
> request, and giving 503 rather than a better error code.

I had a look at the logs on that server, and in the last 4 days apache
did not log any 503 errors.  So it seems most likely that the error
was returned by an intermediate proxy server, possibly because our
range request was too complicated, or possibly because of some error
on that machine not related to the request.  It's conceivable there
was an error on bazaar-vcs.org severe enough to not be logged, I
suppose.

This kind of error would probably ideally be handled by printing a
warning, waiting a bit, and retrying...

--
Martin