[MERGE][1.0] disable python imports from cwd (problem with python2.4 @ win32: bug #53478)

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Nov 26 20:02:53 GMT 2007

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> Aaron Bentley ?8H5B:
>> Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>>> Alexander Belchenko has voted abstain.
>>> Status is now: Waiting
>>> Comment:
>>> actually this patch incorrect if we invoke bzr from directory where
>>> bzrlib installed, e.g. Lib\site-packages.
>> By abstaining, rather than rejecting, you're still inviting other people
>> to vote on this.  Is that your intent?
>
> I'd like to hear comments from John and Robert.

I haven't followed this thread very closely (on vacation this last week).

I seem to remember sys.path getting '' put into it, but then some other code in
site.py changing it to expand it to os.getcwd().

In fact, looking at the bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/53478

I find this patch was the fix:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/3498888/site-py-update.diff

+        if dir == '':
+            # On some platforms there is an extra empty string in the list
+            # of paths, which causes the current working directory to always
+            # be added to the search path. Prevent this.
+            # it will be added later if it is required by the code that adds
+            # dirname(sys.argv[0])
+            continue

I believe I tracked down how we were getting '' in the original sys.path, but I
can't remember it now.

Anyway, if the raw string '' is in sys.path, it makes sense to me to filter it
out in the 'bzr' front-end script.

I'm not as convinced about removing os.getcwd().

So in summary:

  if '' in sys.path:
    sys.path.remove('')

is good. And I would start with that, and see if it gets you to what you need,
without checking getcwd().

BB:tweak