UI confusion / consistency

John Yates jyates at netezza.com
Mon Nov 26 19:35:56 GMT 2007

There seems to be less controversy about inquiry commands (those
that modify no state).  What I would like is a default that allowed
imperative commands (those that truly do modify state) to operate
by default relative to . in a safe manner, e.g. --strict.  This would
indicate that my expectation is to operate only from . but that I
also believe doing so to be equivalent to operating from the root.
When that is not the case --strict would error out.  I would expect
to specify this --strict as an alias.  Finally I would want a way
to override --strict.  I guess this might be called --partial.

/john