RegistryOption does not show possible values with value_switches=False

Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
Sun Nov 25 19:09:56 GMT 2007

* John Arbash Meinel [Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:36:41 -0500]:

Hello,

> Now, you could argue that with value_switches=False it could still
> automatically generate the documentation for those values. Just do it as part
> of the "--format" documentation, rather than doing it as separate options.

[...]

> Either way, I think it would be nice if the options were auto documenting.
> Irrespective of what value_switches was set to.

I tried to implement this, so that tags' --sort option gets useable
help, but it doesn't seem possible to do it right away, because
optparse.OptionParser inconditionally wraps the help for an option as a
single paragraph, even if there are newlines in it.

OptionParser accepts a formatter kwarg, and it will use it instead of
the standard IndentedHelpFormatter, but it would still mean duplicating
most of optparser.HelpFormatter.format_option().

Other option would be to somehow place the documentation for possible
values in a separate paragraph, like it happens with value_switches=True.
I guess for that one could subclass OptionParser. I may try this approach
during the upcoming week.

CCing Aaron in case he has any comments.

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

He who has not a good memory should never take upon himself the trade of lying.
                -- Michel de Montaigne