UI confusion / consistency

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Nov 22 15:57:29 GMT 2007

There are a couple of confusing things in the bzr UI that people new to
Bazaar seem to keep running into and some things that I myself find very
inconsistent.

Also, please note that these things are minor. I'm very happy with the
UI overall :-)

The most important one is probably the fact that "bzr up" in a cloned
branch does not do the same as "bzr up" in a checkout. I've seen a lot
of novice users hit this, especially since it gives the impression it
works like they expected.

The base directory to which paths specified on the command-line are
relative differs. For example, "bzr ignore" treats paths relative to the
root of the branch, while "bzr status" or "bzr add" treat the path
relative to the cwd. I know there is a reason for this, but it is
confusing nonetheless.

Several commands take a location to limit their output to a subset of
paths and output paths relative to the cwd - "bzr status, bzr ls, ...".

In particular "bzr conflicts" does not take a path argument and always
prints its data relative to the tree root. This is annoying because its
output isn't directly copy-pastable to, e.g. "rm", "bzr resolved" or
your favorite editor. Is there a reason for this?

Cheers,

Jelmer

Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org