[MERGE][bug #120697] Don't force http cache revalidation

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Nov 21 23:21:17 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 09:40 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:

> I think that's ok.  Maybe someone can find an invocation that will
> cause both http 1.0 and 1.1 caches to just revalidate, but that can
> wait.

I don't thing this exists (1.0 does not have the concept of just
revalidate).

> Or maybe we could observe the first response headers from the
> transport and detect what kind of proxy is present -- though it's a
> bit risky as it may change from one request to the next.

The version headers will tell you solely the next hop, and there is a
serious caveat:

Intercepting proxies often hide their presence.

Note that a  1.1 proxy is responsible for getting must-revalidate to
work with any upstreams *it has*, so if we're really talking to a 1.1
proxy that is fine.

-Rob