[MERGE][bug #120697] Don't force http cache revalidation

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Nov 21 22:40:19 GMT 2007

> I attached the actual patch with a comment in launchpad saying:
>
> ,----
> | Buggy proxies (returning stale data) have been encountered in
> | the past.  If a cache gives us older versions of some files,
> | and newer versions of others, we'll see the repository as
> | broken.  Therefore, bzr explicitly bypass cache by using a
> | 'no-cache' directive as Roland rightly deduced.
> |
> | The attached patch disables that behavior. Use at your own risk.
> `----
>
> If any of you think that we should do more than that*, speak up.
>
> Otherwise I'll set the bug to "Won't Fix" in a few days
> explaining that we intend to address the root problem (network
> unfriendliness) by other means.

I think that's ok.  Maybe someone can find an invocation that will
cause both http 1.0 and 1.1 caches to just revalidate, but that can
wait.

Or maybe we could observe the first response headers from the
transport and detect what kind of proxy is present -- though it's a
bit risky as it may change from one request to the next.

--
Martin