lock oddity

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Nov 21 21:00:45 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 15:55 -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> > The problem with setting a limit, is that all limits are essentially arbitrary.
> > Some might say that a lock held for longer than 1 hour is strange. But then you
> > get the person who is pushing their Mozilla source tree over dialup, because
> > that is all they have.
>
> At least on Linux, bzr seems to be aware of the PID of the locking
> process.  Could we be more aggressive, perhaps, if the process is missing?
>
> I realize this may be difficult on Windows, but could we keep the
> current behavior there, and check processes on platforms which support it?

Possibly, but pid's are unique on a machine only, so we'd need complete
confidence that the lock taker which is stale is on the same machine.
Our locks are acquirable over e.g. sftp.

> > I would probably say that your build process should be more forceful about
> > complaining when updating fails. I'm pretty sure 'bzr pull' returns a different
> > code if there are no changes versus if there are changes versus if something
> > else fails (could not connect, lock timeout, etc.).
>
> In the case of this particular build process, it complicates matters
> that the bzr update phase and build phase are completely separate jobs.
>
> We could, I suppose, have some kind of notification on update failure;
> we already have that for builds.  Then, lock handling could be
> completely manual.

One way would be to use bzr info to determine if the tree is locked; if
it is then your update hasn't finished and you shouldn't build.

-Rob