1.0 roadmap

Martin Albisetti argentina at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 03:22:27 GMT 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 3:29 PM, Nicholas Allen <allen at ableton.com> wrote:
> It seems strange to me to have an almost ready high performance format
> and not wait for it to mature before releasing 1.0. Otherwise users
> will complain about performance of bazaar and if they think it is to
> slow they may not give it another chance in the future. As packs seems
> to solve many performance problems I would have thought 1.0 would
> include it by default....

I have to agree based on the feedback I get from users/potential users.
I would very hard to explain why a high performance format is
available and not on by default.
It would plant the idea that "bzr just doesn't do well
perfomance-wise" in everybody's head if 1.0 goes out without packs.

Are there enough good reasons not to release with packs?
And if there are, is the release of 1.0 *now* more important then
delaying it a bit and having a much more complete 1.0 product?

On the other hand, it seems the Windows issue needs some thought.
Maybe leaving the Windows version in 0.9x until it's stable enough?

And, on a slightly more positive note, bzr seems really solid here
(linux environments, 15+ people using it, integration with custom
software), and even without packs, performance is acceptable.
I don't see any other reasons besides the ones mentioned above why 1.0
shouldn't hit the streets.

Cheers,

Martin