[MERGE][bug #120697] Don't force http cache revalidation

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Nov 20 23:46:20 GMT 2007

> I can't imagine why it is still needed (neither why it was)
> except if someone encoutered a bug without that feature.
>
> Martin, since you introduced that change, can you shed some light
> on why you did so ?

With knits and weaves we modify existing files.  If a cache gives us
older versions of some files, and newer versions of others, we'll see
the repository as broken.

However, I think it'd be better to ask the cache 'must revalidate'
rather than 'no cache'.  It would be dangerous to take this out
entirely and allow them to use the default age-based heuristic.  That
will be more friendly in the case of the original bug.

--
Martin