Reasons for selecting Bazaar over other tools

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Nov 20 23:52:45 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 18:38 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> With the pending release of 1.0, it's likely that we'll see a large
> increase in users aware of Bazaar and trying out Bazaar. Among the most
> common questions we're likely to be asked on the mailing list or IRC, I
> expect to see ...
>
>   " Why would I use Bazaar instead of Subversion?".

I note in a couple of them you say something like 'Bazaar's initial
design goals WERE DIFFERENT but ...' (emphasis mine)

This is I think both misleading and overly negative.

Our design goals ARE DIFFERENT. We want a tool that is loved by
developers; speed is a necessary condition to that love, and one we
didn't recognise as being as important as it is, but we're building
speed in in order to be the best possible tool, not in order to be fast.

IMO our design goals have not changed in any substantial way; we've just
learnt more about what is necessary to realise them.

I would rephrase what you say as something like "Bazaar's focus on ease
of use placed initially placed speed as a low priority. This has changed
and speed is now one of the key metrics changes to bzr are assessed on;
this change has lead to huge strides in performance while ..."

-Rob