bzr 0.15.0 traceback

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Nov 20 21:21:43 GMT 2007

Marco Rodrigues wrote:
> It's already fixed in 0.92 ?
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bzr/+bug/134163
>
> ---
>
> ~$: bzr commit
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ctypes/__init__.py:10: RuntimeWarning: Python C
> API version mismatch for module _ctypes: This Python has API version 1013,
> module _ctypes has version 1012.
>   from _ctypes import Union, Structure, Array

^- This part is usually an indication that you compiled the code for python2.4,
but are running it against python2.5. I'm not sure if a simple "make" will
detect that. But I think "make clean; make" should.

>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/commit.py", line 332, in commit
>     message = message_callback(self)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/builtins.py", line 2095, in
> get_message
>     my_message = edit_commit_message(template)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/msgeditor.py", line 129, in
> edit_commit_message
>     for line in codecs.open(msgfilename, 'r', bzrlib.user_encoding):
>   File "codecs.py", line 631, in next
>     return self.reader.next()
>   File "codecs.py", line 562, in next
>     line = self.readline()
>   File "codecs.py", line 477, in readline
>     data = self.read(readsize, firstline=True)
>   File "codecs.py", line 424, in read
>     newchars, decodedbytes = self.decode(data, self.errors)
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 3-6: invalid data

This looks like your editor tried to write in a different encoding that we
expected. Something like writing in iso-8859-1 when your system claims it is UTF-8.

Do you know what commit message you were writing?

I believe we have cleaned up the error to make it clearer what is failing. But
there isn't much we can do if your system tells us it is giving us a UTF-8
string, but passes us data which is invalid UTF-8. (A lot of other systems
would silently accept the bad data, and you just wouldn't ever be able to read
that commit message correctly in the future.)